So, we’re putting on a new roof ourselves. Why? Well, this simple question has two answers. First and foremost, our house needs a new roof put on before we put it up for sale next year in order for Norm and I to start our full-time RV travels. And secondly, we’re doing this work ourselves in order to save $7,000 – $10,000.
We are not professional roofers! We are only doing this video as an update to how we are progressing towards our goal of selling the house in order to fulfill our full-time travel adventures. So with this in mind, this is not a how-to video on roofing, nor did we ever intend it to be. There are plenty of professional how-to do your roof videos, so please check those out.
We had help with tearing off the old roofing material by our son-in-laws, and our youngest son. They also helped Norm install the 30# roof felt. Installing the shingles was Norm’s job. Only working in the shade, He averages 3 hours a day up on the roof shingling. During the tear off, I was the sole ground crew. Using a wheel barrow or the large wagon, I gathered the trash and walked it to the dumpster. Both the tear off and roof shingle dumping was extremely hard work, and something neither one of us will do again.
There are 3 items that have to be at the top of your list.
1. Get a permit! Don’t start anything or buy anything until you’re contacted your local government building office to see exactly what you’re going to need to bring with you in order for you to get a permit.
2. Get the rooftop delivery and service for the shingles. Norm scheduled the delivery after the old roof was removed and the 30# felt paper was installed.
3. Rent a dumpster for the roof tear-off. We rented a 10 Cubic Yard container, and it easily handled the 2500 SF of roofing, felt paper, and some miscellaneous plywood and lumber.
Here’s the detailed list we promised on what we purchased in order to be able to successfully remove the old roof and re-install our new roof.
1) Various sizes of tarps. Have these handy in case it rains
2) GAF pro-start starter strip shingles
3) 14” x 50’ of Galvanized valley
4) 1” plastic round cap 3m bucket
5) 2” lead roof boot flashing
6) 3” lead roof boot flashing
7) 1 ¼” coil roofing nails
8) HDX shingle remover shovels
9) Porter-Cable coil roofing nailer
10) 10” heavy gauge alum ridge vent
11) 30# roof felt
12) GAF Royal Sovereign Asphalt 3-tab roof shingles – 25 year limited warranty
13) GAF roll roofing asphalt – 25 year limited warranty
14) Direct job site delivery and service. For $100, they’ll deliver the shingles to the roof, and get them off the conveyor.
If you have any questions, suggestions, or comments, please feel free to put them in the comment section below – we’d love to hear from you.
Check out our blog at https://wevegonecamping.blogspot.com
If you’d like to check out our stand-alone photos, you can find these at our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/Weve.Gone.Camping
And don’t forget to hit that Subscribe button to our YouTube channel to keep track of our camping adventures! http://www.youtube.com/c/WeveGoneCamping
Norm and Phyllis
Sales Rank 615 Swanson Tool Co. , Inc.